Tuesday, October 27, 2009

transautomatism


 blobs grow in the beloved garden, hundertwasser 1975


  pavilions und bungalows, hundertwasser


When Friedensreich Hundertwasser coined the word "transautomatism", I believe he wanted to remind us that the world we live in can be much, much more inspiring and meaningful if we were to just open our minds, take time to fantasize and dream, and look beyond the options of the straight line. And in this spirit, I think we have forgotten our own lines as we begin to live in environments that are far too scripted.

I was introduced to this phenomenal artist/architect in 1992 by one Mary Choo. I was awestruck by his works, how he was able to translate the ideas behind his multi-dimensional paintings to real buildings, how his art, philosophy, life - all speak in one language. I remembered how I hogged on to his book and kept loaning it out until I couldn't borrow it anymore. His works were inspirational to me. I loved how he invented his own tiles and finishes, how he made his 'dragon' ridges and scaly walls.. defects never looked so cool!

For someone who believed that "an uneven floor is a melody to the feet" and straight lines are "godless and immoral", he could possibly be a bad contractor's bestest friend! The spaces he moulded are fluid, seamless and quirky, sometimes rather animated. But understand his intent and agenda, you will realise he is not just about being unconventionally crooked/bent.
                                     







kunstahaus, hundertwasser

Today as a practising architect I still find his works truly remarkable. I especially appreciate how he attempts to bring lots of greenery and life into his buildings, making them organic in all sense of the word. This language is very relevant in our tropical climate as we strive to achieve sustainability in our design, relying less on mechanical or 'automatistic' means.

While many might find his works similar to Gaudi's, I personally find Hundertwasser more daring and soulful - art as art should be.


1 comment:

  1. yup, love the colors in hundertwasser's works ;)
    his advocacy for "window rights / tree duty" is admirable too...

    ReplyDelete